Yes, this blog post is being written for purely selfish reasons. And yes, we sometimes need a get-quick solution for producing a blog post fast. For the record, this blog was created in ten minutes to prove that this can be done.
So, when all else fails and you need a blog fast, here are our tricks of the trade that never fail.
1. Event/Photo Post. If you’re somewhere cool, like at a book fair, festival, concert, food truck–anywhere that you don’t frequent regularly–post a picture as your post. Include a caption, ask a couple questions, or for a twist invite your readers to submit a caption if the photo is funny or quirky.
2. Video Post. If there’s a video that you come across that catches your attention, save it. On a day when you’re drawing a blank, post it and share your brief thoughts on it.
3. Your Favorite Things Post. Channel your inner Oprah and provide a list of your favorite things: books, songs you write to, independent bookstores, movies adapted from your favorite books, iPad/iPhone/Android apps, etc.
4. An Interview Post. This requires some advance planning, but enlisting a guest blogger to partake in an interview saves you loads of time. You send questions and they send answers. Proofread and upload and you’re looking at ten minutes tops.
5. An Excerpt. Pull an excerpt from your book or work in progress. You’ll need to have a brief introduction to set it up and provide context but beyond that the work is already done.
So in full disclosure, this post took approximately 12 minutes. Not bad eh? Okay 13 minutes…