This week, we have an interview with another one of Wise Ink’s own! Jayne J. Jones Beehler, along with her illustrator partner Katrina G. Dohm, is the author of the children’s series The Official Adventures—books that celebrate one of Minnesota’s most beloved pastimes, the game of hockey. We asked her about her books, her writing, and her future plans.
- Tell us about your series!
The Official Adventures has it all: special hockey, girls’ hockey, precise real-life illustrations, a glossary of terms, and love for the game. It focuses on all of these while teaching life lessons in areas such as family and sportsmanship. The book series features two referees, Rylee and Rosee, who instill sportsmanship, humor, and victory on and off the ice.
The book has been endorsed by NHL players and coaches, including
- Alex Ovechkin (Washington)
- Corey Perry (Anaheim)
- Rick Nash (New York Rangers)
- Brett Burns (San Jose)
- Matt Cullen (Pittsburgh)
- Joe Pavelski (San Jose)
- Jordan Leopold (Minnesota)
- Claude Giroux (Philadelphia)
- Coach Dave Hakstol (Philadelphia)
- Coach Phil Housley (Nashville)
- Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux (Team USA)
and others. It has also been endorsed by Ann Schaab and Mike Hickey of the American Special Hockey Association.
The latest book in the series, Drop the Puck, Let’s Play Hockey, features a variety of tales of the game, including celebration banquets, Minnesota hockey traditions, a trip to Finland, and much more!
- What has been the best part of publishing your book series?
I’m humbled by the readers’ smiles, responses, and craving for more adventures!
- What has your partnership with ASHA been like? How did that come about?
How do you spell AWESOME? Truly incredible! We love the American Special Hockey Association and enjoy introducing the Minnesota Bears in book 3! It’s about time Minnesota has an ASHA team—we are the State of Hockey, after all!
- Why did you choose to write for children specifically? Do you have interest in writing for any other audiences?
I did co-author Capitol Hell with Dara’s expertise prior to starting The Official Adventures. It was on my bucket list to write a children’s book series, and we certainly have answered a need for a fun-filled chapter book series aimed at 2nd to 6th graders!
- What’s your writing process like?
I take mental notes about real-life hockey and life stories to incorporate into The Official Adventures!
- What advice do you have for other children’s book authors?
To be honest, writing and getting published are the easy parts! The hard work requires rolling up your sleeves—marketing your book and yourself and leaving no door unanswered. Katrina and I, along with my husband, work every shot 24/7 (no pun intended) and keep shooting for the goal hoping to score.
- Book 3 just came out—will there be a Book 4?
Yes, definitely! We have new story line ideas already being generated! The crew of Cullen, Blaine, Ann, Luke, Paisley, Avery, Stephen, Jager, and McLaren will continue to have readers laughing, smiling, and learning life lessons—on and off the ice!